Thursday, August 12, 2010

Learning to Listen...

I just had a very honest and tug-at-my-heart kind of conversation with my 4 year old, Abby. I was finishing some work on the computer and Abby was chattering away in the background. I was talking back with her, but not focusing or paying much attention to what she was saying. Then I realized how distracted I was and how rude I was being to her, so I walked over to where she was playing at her doll house. I sat down in front of her and took her face in my hands and said, "I'm sorry that sometimes I am too busy to listen to you. I am trying to learn how to be a better listener and I'm sorry." Then she just smiled at me and said, "But Mommy, you are being a good listener right now." I laughed, and said, "Yes but I need Heavenly Father to help me better." And she said, "Yes, He will help you and Jesus and the Holy Ghost and Angels. And I will help you because I am your daughter and I always listen to what you say."

I have tender moments like these every day. I am so blessed to have two sweet little girls to spend my days with, who are patient with me and willing to help me be a better person. I learn just as much from them as they learn from me, if not more. They are my little Angels, sent to me from Heavenly Father to remind me of everything that is important in life and to give me the courage to abandon everything that is unimportant.

As part of my goal to listen better, I have removed distractions such as the internet on my phone, facebook, and reading other people's blogs. I want to listen better to my children, my husband, and the Spirit. I have already noticed a huge difference in my life and I am excited to make further changes.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I think the best way to describe this special "Abby story" is tender. You my sweet friend are a very good mommy. Not perfect, but very, very good at seeking to know the hearts of your little ones and responding accordingly. Thanks for sharing and adding smiles to my afternoon.

Reese said...

You are such a good mommy! I've learned a lot from you about communicating with children. I still think of you as I try to do better even now. Thank you for your example. You have sweet children - serves you right!